Formed in 1978, the San Patricio Restoration Society's purpose is to preserve local 19th century history. A museum is operated by the society. San Patricio was founded in 1829 by the empresarios James McGloin and John McMullen after they received permission from the Mexican government on August 16, 1828. The town was once the county seat of San Patricio County. The area is rich in "Texas Revolutionay History" with many historical sites within the immediate vicinity. Historical information can be viewed on the Texas Historical Comission site at "atlas.thc.state.tx.us".